Solar technology is at a high peak these days. Solar panels are being used in all sorts of devices such as solar cars, solar lights, solar panel geysers, etc. they use sunlight in the most amazing way, i.e., in the form of electricity. Using such an abundant source of energy for the benefit of mankind is great. However, we also experience various weather conditions like thunderstorms, dust winds, snow, and rain showers.
Can a solar light get wet in the rain? Yes, they would get wet if they are subjected to rain. However, this article is aimed to explain if such rain showers would make the lights inadequate for lighting or will it affect its efficiency or not. Keep on reading this article below to know more about how solar lights work even in rains.
Can Solar Lights Get Wet?
Yes, solar lights can get wet as they are not immune to any kind of liquid. However, one can question whether the rain would damage the solar lights or not.
But, solar lights are designed in such a way that they can withstand any kind of weather such as rain, snow, wind, etc. the material used to make these solar lights are usually water-resistant and waterproof; therefore, they have no risk of getting wet and damaged.
Water resistance can be easily confused with being waterproof
However, they are not the same thing. At the same time, water resistance means that the object can resist any kind of water leakage inside the object that could further damage the mechanical parts of the object. So, even if a drop of water does leak inside the electrical parts, it will not damage the solar lights. However, if the solar light falls straight inside the water, then the light could get damaged.
Waterproof solar lights are also available. They prevent the water from being penetrated by the light fully. So it ensures the light from a heavy amount of water too. However, physical damage due to some other reasons could make the object more susceptible to water getting leaked inside the light. Thus, lights could get damaged due to this.
Can Water Damage Solar Lights?
Yes, most definitely! Solar lights could get damaged because of water. However, one must know that a small amount of water, such as raindrops, will not cause such damage. The solar lights have to be exposed to a lot of water to be seeped inside the light and get damaged.
Usually, solar lights are made with water-resistant materials that stop the water from leaking inside. But any kind of accident causing a little crack in the light could further lead to water getting through that crack. The water would easily seep inside, and then the mechanical wiring and the circuits could get destroyed as a result.
Are Solar Lights Waterproof?
Yes, solar lights are made with waterproof material to ensure no water gets inside the light causing further damage to it. However, one must buy a good-quality solar light that would work under the rain as well. A weatherproof resting of IP65 is applied over the solar light so that it can withstand any kind of rainy conditions.
However, if the solar light has incurred any kind of accident which got a scratch or a crack over the outer protective covering could lead to the water leaking in. if the water leaks in, it could further ruin the electrical component of the solar light.
How do I protect my solar lights from the rain?
Solar lights are usually waterproof and water-resistant, and you should not have to do anything. However, if by accident, there is an accident on the light, and it experiences a crack of some sort, it could lead to serious damage if not covered properly. Therefore, you should paint a silicone layer over it or paste silicon tape over it to prevent water from seeping inside the lights’ internal circuit.
- Store your solar lights in a dry climate at room temperatures.
- Do not store solar lights in a box or a dark room if there is no light source, as it could lead to the formation of moisture.
- Always remember not to store your solar lights for a prolonged period.
- Envelop the glass of the solar light with a bubble wrap to protect it from breakage.
Click here to see how to do that.
Can solar lights be left out in the rain?
Yes, solar lights work well under rainy days as well as they would on any other day. It doesn’t matter if it is raining or not when it comes to solar lights working outside. The most crucial thing for a solar light is to get sunlight. If there is enough light from the sunlight, even during rain or cloudy days, then the solar panel would charge the battery well.
But, sometimes, solar light may be affected due to low sunlight or an inadequate amount of sunlight reaching the solar panel. Therefore, if that happens, solar lights could use the energy that is saved by the battery, and the sensor would turn the solar panel off from receiving any sunlight.
Therefore, you should not worry if your solar light is left in the rain as long as it gets sunlight.
How is rain beneficial to the solar lights?
- Solar light on a cloudy or rainy day works wonders. It must sound funny, but it is true. Even though solar light would be charged at its maximum through a clear sky, solar panels do get charged through the clouds even with just a little amount of sunlight. But rain does help in increasing the efficiency of the solar light.
- Dust and debris such as bird droppings on the solar light’s panel could inhibit the solar light from getting inside the solar panel. Therefore solar light’s efficiency would decrease greatly, and you will have to clean the solar panel every day. Therefore, rain falling over these would clean any kind of dust or debris from the solar panels, and that would lead to the solar panel working efficiently.
- Rain can also lead to a cold day, so the efficiency of solar lights would increase even more as solar lights work best in a cold environment. The hot temperature would ruin the solar lights as well.
- Since rainy days see colder temperatures, it works wonders for solar lights as solar lights work best at temperatures between 15 degrees Celsius to 35 degrees Celsius. Their efficiency is at a peak during that temperature, and clear exposure to sunlight could also lead to overheating.
Possible Solutions for solar lights after getting wet in the rain
The best solutions that you can follow to fix a solar light after getting wet in the rain are:
- Dry out the solar light and store it inside your house in the presence of ample light so that it still gets enough light and do not keep it in the dark,
- Keep the solar lights away from any other source of light so that the sunlight gets through the solar panel properly.
- Test the solar light in a dark room to check if it’s working or not. If you feel like it is damaged, you could get a new one.
- Get a waterproof solar light so that you do not have to worry about water seeping inside.
- If you do get a flood warning, you should be able to remove the lights, switch them off and store them safely inside until the weather has gotten okay.
We have successfully established here that solar lights can work well in rains as well. However, they are destructible as well. Therefore, you must take proper care of the solar lights and maintain the solar lights in such a way that the quality of the light is not hampered.
Solar lights are the best kind of technology that has ever existed as it makes use of the sun’s energy. They are also eco-friendly, practical to use, and leave such a small carbon footprint. As solar-powered lights have become popular, they have completely taken over the world, and they can do that.
Solar lights are the best purchase you will ever make as they work well under any conditions, and their maintenance doesn’t take much of your time. However, always ask for waterproof and water-resistant.